Fortunato Mario Fontana is the descendant
of a long line of cabinetmakers. Mario immigrated to Canada in 1956.
He started his own cabinet shop at 1285 Erie St. E. He specialized
in design and installations for restaurants, first under the name
of Cortina Construction Ltd., and later Fontana Design and Woodwork
Inc. He has designed and completed the interior construction of Plaza
Restaurant, Roma Pizzeria, Sorrento Cafe, Ing’s Restaurant,
Lotus Gardens, Madrid Restaurant, three Trevi Restaurants, many renovations
at La Scala Restaurant and Franco’s Restaurant. He completed
Geno’s Italian Village, the Tunnel Bar-B-Q, Royal Marquis Hotel
and the Best Western Hotel. Mario Fontana designed, and his men completed,
the Renaissance styled Members’ Lounge in the Giovanni Caboto
Club, the interior and exterior stonework at the Ciociaro Club, and
the renovation of the Sanctuary of St. Angela Merici, along with
Saverio Galli and John Recchia.