|Marisa De Franceschi was born
in Muris (Udine), Italy, in 1946. She came to Canada with her parents
in 1948, and grew up in Windsor, Ontario. Her father is Italian from
Muris, Udine Province in Italy, while her mother is an Italian born
in Windsor, Canada.
Marisa graduated from the University of Windsor, and taught for
over twenty five years. Her short stories, articles, and book reviews
have appeared in a variety of Canadian publications including, Canadian
Author & Bookmark, The Mystery Review and The
Dynamics of Cultural Exchange. Marisa’s work has appeared in a number of anthologies
and she has twice been the recipient of the Okanagan Short Story
Award. Surface Tension was her first novel. De Franceschi has completed
a second and is working on a third. Her work includes:
||- “The Providers”,
which is a short story for Canadian Author & Bookmark, published in 1980.
- “Stories About Real People”, is a series of readings,
stories to make everyone laugh, published in 1982 by Mardan Publishing.
- “Royal Blood”, a short story, Canadian Author & Bookmark,
- “The Providers” and “Royal Blood” were
included in the anthology Pure Fiction, Fitzhenry & Whiteside,
- “Peonies trying to survive”, is a short story, Ricordi:
Things Remembered, published in Toronto by Guernica Editions, in
- “Surface Tension”, is her first novel, published
in Toronto by Guernica Editions, in 1994. It is a story about an
Italian immigrant family, who lives in America and the challenges
that this family faces.
- “Things Remembered”, a short story, Investigating
Women, published in Toronto by Simon & Pierre, in 1995.
- Book Reviews for “Canadian Author & Bookmark”, “The
Mystery Review”, “The Windsor Star” and numerous
newspaper and magazine articles for a variety of Canadian publications.
- Marisa De Franceschi was the editor of “Pillars of Lace:
The Anthology of Italian-Canadian Women Writers”, in 1998. “Pillars
of Lace” is an eclectic collection of the finest writing by
Italian-Canadian women, from a variety of genres: poetry, short stories,
film scripts, novels, personal memoirs and journalism. She also edited “The
Many Faces of Woman”, a short story collection, published by
River City Press, in 2001.
- “Family Matters”, De Franceschi’s heartbreaking
recollections of childhood, a prose series, published in 2001 by