Home Search Sitemap About Us Contact Us
 
Wednesday, November 20, 2019
 
 
P10517 - Courtesy of St. Angela Merici Church
  On October 28, 1956, in recognition of the excellent work performed among the Italian people of Windsor, its first pastor, Rev. Costantino DeSantis was elevated to the rank of Domestic Prelate by His Holiness Pope Pius XII.

The rapid growth of the Italian community in the 1950s, due to the large numbers of new immigrants, made a larger church a necessity. Monsignor DeSantis wasted no time, and in 1958 he proceeded with an expansion of the church.

After consultations with engineers and architects, a major expansion and re-alignment of the Church took place. The western wall of the then existing Church was extended to Louis Avenue so that the main entrance would now be off Louis Avenue. The eastern wall was also extended and the altar area would now be moved to this area. A new balcony at the north end of the Church would be constructed.

   
P10517 - Interior of St. Angela Merici Church circa 1965. Note the new altar turned towards the congregation. Courtesy of St. Angela Merici Church
 
   
Nativity scene at St. Angela Merici Church with Fr. Lino Santi and Fr. Giovanni Bizzotto, 1985.  Courtesy of St. Angela Merici Church, P10545
 
   
P10545 - Nativity scene at St. Angela Merici Church with Fr. Lino Santi and Fr. Giovanni Bizzotto, 1985. Courtesy of St. Angela Merici Church
 
   
Back to previous page
 

The opinions and interpretations in this publication are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect those of the Government of Canada.

 

Copyright © 2005 Windsor Mosaic Website. All rights reserved.