Home Search Sitemap About Us Contact Us
 
Friday, November 15, 2019
 
 
P11015 - Picco Photographer  the house at corner of Louis and Erie. Courtesy of Picco Family collection
  The Picco family bought a house located at the corner of Louis Avenue and Erie Street East, in 1954. Previously, the house belonged to Mr. Fred Hill, who was a realtor at that same location. Mr. Picco moved from St. Catherines in 1959, and built the shop annexed to the house located at 646 Erie Street East where he started a photography business. This was an excellent decision because at that time approximately 1100
P11015 - Picco Photographer – the house at corner of Louis and Erie. Courtesy of Picco Family collection
  weddings and as many as 200 communions a year were celebrated at St. Angela Merici Church, just across the street.
 

Although the photography shop was thriving, in 1965 Mr. Picco started offering income tax services as an added activity and then both he and his wife began bookkeeping for diverse companies, especially paving and construction companies run by Italian entrepreneurs.

The bookkeeping services expanded rapidly, as did the income tax business. However, every venture undertaken was not necessarily such a success. Mrs. Picco ran a travel agency for several years in the late 1960s, but when the “International Agency Traveller’s Association” was abolished, the business became too complicated to maintain. Nonetheless, these initiatives demonstrate that the Piccos were hard working individuals and had a desire to provide much needed services to the Italian community. In 1990, the Picco family sold their property to two patrons who built a very classy restaurant called, “Spago”.

 
Back to previous page
 

The opinions and interpretations in this publication are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect those of the Government of Canada.

 

Copyright © 2005 Windsor Mosaic Website. All rights reserved.