and Moceri – confectionary,
fruit (wholesale and retail), cigars and tobacco at 49 Sandwich
E., now Riverside Dr. E. (just east of Ouellette).
Frances Nosotti – dressmaker at
6 Lillian Street is the first of several business women that
appear in the Windsor Business
Directories between 1909 and 1930. Between 1911 and 1920, the
number of Italian businesses is still small, but they represent
important first bases in the community.
1911 – John D. Marcus operates a
bicycle repair shop at 13 Mercer St.
1913 – Ben Oldani and Co. is a builder
situated in the Manning Building
1914 – G.
Bertini and Co. is a mosaic contractor at 165 Wyandotte
St. E. His company was composed of other Italians, G.
Agostini and A. Lombardi, and in
1919-20 it included A. Borgolini and J.
The first nurse and the first woman of Italian origin in a profession, appears
in 1915: Victoria Ferrari (of 15 Campbell), daughter
of Etienne Ferrari (mentioned in the 1891
Merlo & Ray – A paving and cement company
situated in Walkerville. This company was first listed in
1918. Both the company and the Merlo family
played an important role in the growth of the city and the
community for many years. The career of Louis A. Merlo (1883-1975)
Born in Cuggiono near Milan, he came to Detroit in 1901, and
to Windsor in 1912. He was president and general manager of
which by the early 20's, had become involved in all facets
of building and construction. In 1931, Louis was vice-president
of Canada Paving and Supply Corporation and in 1933, manager
of Sterling Construction Co. Louis A. Merlo had six children
some of them still live in Windsor. Paul Merlo, who was vice
of the company, was one of the first Italians to live on Erie
St. East (No. 61).