Frank Funaro Men’s Wear was a downtown Windsor cornerstone
business for 35 years. Frank Funaro, together with his wife Rosina,
owned and operated a fine clothing store known for its fine quality
product line, its excellent customer service and its expert alteration
capabilities, from 1959 to 1994.
In 1955, Frank Funaro left the bar-and-café business
he operated with his brother in Turin, Italy. He immigrated to
Windsor to find his long-time love he had met as a young teenager,
Rosina, who had immigrated a few months earlier. Frank turned
to a business he loved, tailoring, and started out in a modest
basement premises at 67 University Avenue West.
Within a few years, Frank and Rosina were married and thus marked
the beginning of their lifelong partnership in life and in business.
In 1966, Frank and Rosina had three children: Josephine (Josie),
ten years old, Francesca (Fran), seven years old, and Alfonso
(Al), one year old. The Funaro family renovated and expanded
the business at 61 University Avenue West.
By then Frank was a well-known custom tailor. In 1977, the
company name was changed to “Frank Funaro Men’s Wear” and
the successful store was expanded in order to carry sports and
weekend wear and accessories. His daughter, Fran, began working
at the store while completing her business degree at the University
The following year Frank negotiated a deal to purchase the
downtown corner property which included his store premises. He
purchased and still owns the land between University Avenue and
the Royal Windsor Terrace, from 61 University Ave. West around
the corner to 324 Pelissier Street.
The Funaro family enterprise underwent further expansion and
additions in the 1980s. This time the store was expanded to
include high fashion women’s apparel which was overseen
and operated by Rosina and Fran, subtitled ‘Collections
FFB’ ( Fran Funaro Boutique). His son, Al, also joined
the staff at the expanded premises and a few years
later the next generation of Funaros were born and began
learning the ropes of fashion retail under their grandparent’s
wing. Roberto Funaro (son of Josie) became a welcome fixture
at Frank Funaro Men’s Wear.
1993 also marked another event for the Funaro family. They planned,
produced and starred in the first annual “Bold and the
Beautiful Fashion Show” which was staged at the Capitol
Theatre and Arts Centre in downtown Windsor. It was a show featuring
designs exclusively from over 20 downtown boutiques with proceeds
going to Windsor Regional Hospital. The show’s success
prompted it to be an annual downtown event for several years.
Loyal clients of Frank Funaro Men’s Wear and Collections
FFB, as well as local celebrities were involved as guest models
demonstrating their support of Windsor Regional Hospital and
downtown Windsor. Considerable time and effort were involved in
this unique production.
As with many successful businesses, Frank Funaro Men’s
Wear stressed devoting personal attention to the men and women
who shopped there. After 35 successful years of business in downtown
Windsor, Frank and Rosina announced the retirement of Frank Funaro
Men’s Wear and Collections FFB in 1994.