Antonio Angelo Nadalin (Tony) was
born to Giovanni and Maria (Marcuz) Nadalin in 1913. In 1921,
when he was eight years old, Tony and his mother came to Windsor
to be with his father. Giovanni had been working in Canada
since 1912 for the Bridge factory on Walker Road, earning and
saving enough money to send for his family.
Their first home was on Pitt Street, where Casino Windsor
stands today. They built their second home on Louis Avenue,
on what is now the parking lot North of St. Angela Merici
Church. Maria worked for many years as a Sacristan at the
In 1923, Odilio (Leo)was born. A third boy Keno was born
Giovanni eventually became a bookkepper for St. Alphonsus
Cemetery. The family then built a smaller home on Lillian.
Tony spent a year in St. Peter's seminary; afterward he
taught shop at St. James high school and played chromatic
accordion at the Capitol Theatre. He also played in a band
on the weekends at Dom Polski Hall in Windsor. In 1943, he
married May Ouellette. He made only $100 a month and had
to take on the additional job of cement work during the summer
to support his family.
Leo, who had served time in the army, married Helen Masaro
one week after his brother's wedding.
In 1948, Leo and Tony decided to open a floor covering business,
Nadalin Sales. The store was located at the South-East corner
of Goyeau and Erie. They sold carpeting, ceramic and other
floor tiles. Initially they did the installations themselves
and later took on additional labourers. By 1960, business
was booming and there was a need for a larger location. The
new store, renamed Nadalin Floor Covering, was built across
from Jackson Park on the North-West corner of Windsor Ave.
and Tecumseh Rd.. In 1985, both brothers retired from the