Home Search Sitemap About Us Contact Us
 
Tuesday, June 2, 2020
 
 
Churches have been the focus of the African-Canadian community in Windsor since its foundations. Several churches in Windsor possess valuable information on the history of the community. Those listed below may be of particular interest to those visitors researching African-Canadian history in Windsor. For more information on churches in the region please see the people in religion section of this website.
 
British Methodist Episcopal Church
First Baptist Church
Mount Zion Full Gospel Church
Sandwich Street First Baptist Church
Tanner African Methodist Episcopal Church
 
 
British Methodist Episcopal Church
 
British Methodist Episcopal Church, photo courtesy of H. Soulliere
685 University Ave., Windsor
254-8459

The original British Methodist Episcopal (BME) Church was built by escaped slaves and founded April 13, 1854. The congregation remained at 363 McDougall Street until the area was redeveloped in 1963.
The current British Methodist Episcopal Church is located at 685 University Avenue. The church features the cornerstone of the original building and a very impressive pipe organ which was carefully transported from the original church ediface. The congregation is very active in charitable events and cultural heritage.
 
First Baptist Church
 
The First Baptist Church, photo courtesy of the City of Windsor, Heritage Planning Department
  710 Mercer St., Windsor, 254-6631

The First Baptist Church was originally established by Rev. William Troy in 1858 at McDougall and what used to be London street now University.

On May 24, 1915 the congregation moved to its current location on Mercer Street at Tuscarora.
 
Mount Zion Full Gospel Church
 
Mount Full Gospel ChurchPhoto, photo courtesy of the City of Windsor, Heritage Planning Department
  795 McDougall St., Windsor, 252-0031

Mt. Zion Church was established by Clarence Leslie Morton Senior, an internationally renowned preacher and founder of the Canadian and International Churches of God in Christ in the Windsor/Detroit region. Bishop Morton was also famous for his radio ministry – broadcasting services live on CKLW radio
for thirty years. The building was designed by local architect J.P. Thompson and built by the parishioners in 1939.
 
Sandwich Street First Baptist Church
 
Sandwich Street First Baptist Church, photo courtesy of the City of Windsor, Heritage Planning Department
 

3652 Peter St, Windsor, 252-4917

The oldest black church in Canada it was built in 1840. 11 fugitive slaves from the Close Communion of Baptists formed the congregation. The congregation worshipped outdoors or in individual homes until a log cabin church was built in 1847. Fugitive slaves worked to construct a newchurch of hand hewn lumber and hand made bricks fired in a handmade kiln. In August of 1851 the church was dedicated. Many fugitives hid from slave catchers by escaping through a trapdoor in the church floor.

 
 
Tanner African Methodist Episcopal Church
 
Tanner African Methodist Episcopal Church, Photo courtesy of H.Soulliere
  733 McDougall St., Windsor, 256-0060

The Tanner African Methodist was first called Mercer Street Baptist. It was constructed in 1877. In 1888 it was bought by Bishop Benjamin Tanner and became the Tanner African Methodist Episcopal Church. The congregation moved to the new location on McDougall Street in 1964.
 

The opinions and interpretations in this publication are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect those of the Government of Canada.

 

Copyright © 2005 Windsor Mosaic Website. All rights reserved.