Home Search Sitemap About Us
 
Friday, May 29, 2020
 
 
The interior of Mount Zion Full Gospel Church  photo courtesy of Nancy Morand, City of Windsor department of heritage planning
 

The American Methodist Episcopal (AME) Church association was first established in Canada in 1834. Records show that an AME church existed in Malden township at that time. In 1840 a Canadian Conference of was held and by 1852 the newspaper The Voice of the Fugitive stated that eighteen AME churches existed in Upper Canada.


Tanner African Methodist Episcopal Church – Photo by H. Soulliere
 


In 1854 the Canadian churches petitioned to separate from the

American church organization due to the dangers of crossing the border. At a conference in Philadelphia in 1856 the resolution was adopted and a new British Methodist Episcopal Church association was founded.
 
 

The original Tanner African Methodist Episcopal Church was located at 408 Mercer Street. It was originally called Mercer Street Baptist Church. In 1888 Bishop Benjamin Tanner bought the building to re-establish an American Methodist Episcopal Church in Windsor. The church was called the Tanner African Methodist Episcopal

Click here to see images & details  

Church. The congregation moved to its’ current location at 733 McDougall Street in 1964.

 
Back to previous page
 
 

The opinions and interpretations in this publication are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect those of the Government of Canada.

 

Copyright © 2005 Windsor Mosaic Website. All rights reserved.