The Refugee Home Society was founded in 1851 by abolitionists
in Ontario and Michigan. Donations were collected on both sides
of the border to create a fund to purchase land and assist fugitives.
Henry Bibb and his wife Mary were given the task of managing the
society and administering the funds. They created settlements totaling
approximately 2,000 acres in Sandwich and Maidstone Townships.
Mary Bibb established a school for the new young arrivals and their
parents helped build the church. The Refugee Home Society
also helped provide newcomers with supplies, tools, training and
protection from slave hunters.
opinions and interpretations in this publication are those of the author
and do not necessarily reflect those of the Government of Canada.