William E Walker
This store owner popularized candied popcorn in Windsor. He had
attended school at the ‘Old barracks
William Lawson & Wilhemina Baptiste
William Lawson owned and operated a store and issued licenses
while his wife Wilhemina operated a language school
Imanuel C. Parker
840 Mercer Street
Mr. and Mrs Emanuel Parker owned a confectionary that also sold
hardware and supplies across from Mercer Street school. They
handmade special taffy which was very popular with the students.
They were both very involved in community and church work
375 Watkins Street
Homer Watkins owned a confectionary and grocery on the corner
of Lot Street and Peter St. The street was later renamed Watkins
Street in his honour.
Grocery & Meats
Elizabeth Wilson Monroe Grocery
Corner of Mercer Street and Wyandotte Street
Meat Market - John and Porter Foster, owners
John and Porter Foster operated large stalls at the market which
sold many varieties of meats and products.
S J Johnson Grocery
Location unknown – existed circa 1910
Sandwich St. East
Dunn’s liquor store was located near the Windsor Opera
Henry Stephens `Segars'
Henry Stephens opened his shop in Windsor using cigar rolling
skills he learned as slave.
Corner of McDougall & Assumption
Border City Tire
James and Robert Dunn - Acme White Works / J. L. Dunn's Varnish
The Dunn brothers invented a varnish process and began a business
on Goyeau Street on the site of the Bell Building. The business
eventually moved to the corner of Parent and Albert Streets where
they set up factory in 1881. The company went on to supply varnish
and paint to the Massey-Harris Company.
71 Mercer Street
70 Louis Street
William J Perry Sr., Inspector
William J. Perry Sr. began his career at Ford Motor Company in
September of 1940.
Hiram Walkers employees