Home Search Sitemap About Us
 
Friday, May 29, 2020
 
 
Prominent businessman and mason John Ronald Smith
  The Walker House was built in 1883. This African-Canadian owned and operated business was a focal point of social activity for the community for over 8 decades. Guests from around the world enjoyed good food and hospitality.

At the turn of the 20th century the Walker House was purchased by Mr. John Alexander Smith and brother George Wilfred. Mr. Smith kept the Walker name and tradition of quality. Following John's death ownership of the hotel passed to his sons George, Wilfred and John

Click for video clip
  Ronald Smith. As described in the Public House Licence from 1960-1961 the tavern included a separate drinking area for women only or women escorted by men.
 
The Walker House stayed in the Smith family until the property at 309 McDougall St. was expropriated by the City of Windsor for redevelopment. The Walker House was demolished in 1962 to build the proposed new City Hall. Eventually the plans for the City Hall changed and the site of the former Walker House has been replaced by a parking lot.
 
The Walker House Hotel
 
The Walker House Hotel in 1932

The Walker House Hotel
 
The Walker House Hotel in 1932
 
The Walker House Hotel
 
Public House Licence 1960-1961 granted to John Ronald Smith, Owner

The Walker House Hotel
 
Public House Licence 1960-1961 granted to John Ronald Smith, Owner
 
Back to previous page
 

The opinions and interpretations in this publication are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect those of the Government of Canada.

 

Copyright © 2005 Windsor Mosaic Website. All rights reserved.